DWade + Kobe = A Classic...
12 Men On The Field - Every Monday, Ed The Sports Fan brings you the 12 biggest names over the past week so that you can be thoroughly entertained like when you were 5 years old and you got your first Big Wheel. Oh boy...Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.
1. Dwyane Wade & 2. Kobe Bryant – Wade put in 35, Kobe needed 30, however he only got 28. This 89-87 nailbiter between the Miami Heat and the LA Lakers was truly a sight to see. Kobe missed an 18-footer at the buzzer as the ball went halfway in, then popped out. Can't wait for the rematch, but with that game I think the MVP talk will begin. Who's the MVP thus far? DWade? Kobe? LeBron? CP3? Duncan? Rajon Rondo???
3. The Celtics Big 4, featuring the newest member PG Rajon Rondo – I think its safe to say that cats aren't sleeping on Rondo anymore. I had to sit back and think what kind of player Rondo was becoming and it became clear to me after a drink of Makers' Mark on the rocks...Rajon Rondo might be the next Jason Kidd. They both couldn't shoot worth a lick, extremely quick, can run the fast break, plays defense on both guard positions, and is a floor general. Watch a Celtics game and focus on Rondo, he's barking at everyone. Pierce, Allen, and Garnett included, truly amazing.
4. Pound-for-pound Boxing Champ Manny Pacquiao & 5. The One-Man Band Ricky Hatton - Now I know not all of you are big boxing fans, but I know some of you witnessed the Mayweather vs. Hatton melee in Las Vegas (forward to the 1:00 mark to see the "check hook" on Hatton...)
And if you didn't see the Pacquiao vs. De La Hoya fight then go watch it on HBO On Demand. This should be an interesting fight, but expect to see Pacquiao dismantle Hatton. I just want the fight of a lifetime of the two best pound-for-pound fighters of my lifetime in Pacquiao vs. Mayweather. We'll see what happens...
6. Jamie Foxx & 7. Robin Thicke - Fellas, do yourselves a favor and go pick up their CDs asap. As my boy Cephas from WTFMoments.org said, "You may want to get the CD, a box of Wheaties, Gatorade, and some talcum powder..."
8. NY Giants RB Derrick Ward – The winner of the Michael Turner "I was the #2 back in a great offense and am now a free agent and will be a #1 back somewhere else" award. Derrick Ward went for 215 yards on 15 carries, including 3 big runs of 51, 14, and 19 yards in overtime against a tough Carolina defense that set up the big back Brandon "I could play O-Line" Jacobs for the 2-yard TD. Carolina's tough, and I don't think we're done hearing from the Panthers yet.
9. Angels Free Agent Mark Teixera - Just realize that in the next couple of weeks he'll be getting a significant contract of something like 8 years at $24M/year. ($180-190M) from either the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, or Nationals. (ETSF will be enrolling ETSF Jr. in switch-hitting baseball classes when ETSF Jr. is conceived...) The recession will not be affecting the Teixera family.
10. UNC Hustleman Tyler Hansbrough – Congrats to Tyler Hansbrough on becoming North Carolina's all-time leading scorer. Still not a fan, but you do put in work and would love to have you play for Oklahoma instead. However, I will be rooting for you to break J.J. Redick's scoring record, now that's someone I REALLY don't like...
11. Actress Rosario Dawson - I heart me some Rosario Dawson. Its a fact. She's in the new movie 7 Pounds, with star Will Smith leading the way. Go see it on a Tuesday, not a Friday. Its a great movie, but it might be a killjoy on a Friday. Your girl might cry if you see it with her too.
12. Unsportsmanlike Conduct, Talking Down On the Family, 15-yard penalty...The Media (FOX) Coming Down on Detroit Free-Press columnist Rob Parker – After another horrible 42-7 defeat against the New Orleans Saints, the Detroit Lions fell to 0-15. As is customary, Lions head coach Rod Marinelli had his Coach's press conference after the game. Detroit Free-Press columnist Rob Parker for months has berated the Lions for Marinelli hiring defensive coordinator Joe Barry, who happens to be his son-in-law. Barry's defense has been THE WORST since he's been there.
Well, at the press conference, after asking Marinelli some tough questions about the game, especially about the defense. Asked a funny question, which was a joke, to Rod Marinelli.
"Do you wish your daughter would have married a better defensive coordinator?"
That is classic. Rob Parker, you are my dude for life. You should've seen Marinelli's face. He looked like he saw the Undertaker come from the ceiling in a steel-cage match. Now the media has been asking the question, "Did he go over the line?" The real question should be, why are you number one, hiring your son-in-law as your defensive coordinator. Number two, you haven't won a game yet. Number three, why is he still employed?
Terry Bradshaw then calls him, "An idiot, a flat idiot." Are you serious? At least someone's willing to question the moves that the Lions' administration are making. THEY'RE 0-15!!!! EVERYTHING that this team has done recently needs to be questioned. Every move they make, every hire, every acquisition, every trade, every collective breath they take should be challenged.
Anywhere else, the defensive coordinator would have been fired by now if their defense was as bad as the Lions. Then again, this is the same organization who couldn't say bear to part with Matt Millen after years of him driving the franchise into the ground. The fans deserve better, and more of them need to start questioning the Lions like Rob Parker did, and maybe eventually something will change. To me, the funniest part is when Terry Bradshaw calls Rob Parker an idiot. I guess the saying applies. It takes one to know one, doesn't it, Terry? Michael Strahan also spoke out against Parker, saying he should be an "ex-reporter". While Parker might not be the best journalist ever, I'm sure many people would agree that Strahan would be best suited as an ex-TV analyst. What do you add other than amusement from us guessing what we could throw into your gap.
"Dog, I bet I could throw a starburst thru Strahan's gap."
Happy Holidays! -Ed.