The inspiration of this post came from Mr. Trey McCray and Mr. Justin Tinsley, as Trey supplied the initial questions and Tins provided the answers. As a sign of brotherhood, I too have decided to take the physical challenge and partake in the 21 Questions survey. If you have a blog, tumblr, or facebook page I suggest you try this for yourself as well. This was too fun.
Oh, and I like to think of myself as the "El Presidente" of sports fans. I'm very diplomatic in the appreciation of teams, traditions, rivalries, and fans across the country. Even teams I hate, I don't really hate...just for fan purposes only. However, the teams I am a fan of, you know who I ride for. Without a doubt. Wearing the hats, jackets, singing the fight song, and talking crazy to anyone that's rooting against my squad...just like Brother President.
With that being said, here is my submission to 21 Questions, the sports fan edition.
1. Who is your all-time favorite championship team in any sport?
The 1995 Atlanta Braves. I thought that David Justice would lead the light-skinned coalition into new levels of greatness, that Bobby Cox would be what Joe Torre became, and the Braves core group would help create a dynasty in Georgia. Sadly, this never came to pass.
Side note: I can remember running outside of my mama's house into the cul-de-sac and just yelling "Braves win! Braves win! Braves win!" until my mama cussed me out and told me to get back inside. Good times.
2. What player’s poster did you have on your wall as a child?
Nike presents: Charles Barkley in Raising Arizona.
3. What’s one NFL team you would get rid of right now?
I saw that Tinsley slandered my Jacksonville Jaguars, and I honestly feel like the city and the fanbase is more at fault than the team. Jacksonville has had a good run of success for only being in the league 16 years.
If I wanted to get rid of a team, then I'd get rid of the Cincinnati Bengals. This might be harsh, but if it was a way to get rid of the owner Mike Brown....then all the better.
4. What’s one player you cannot stand in any sport?
Two-way tie between Kobe Bryant and Peyton Manning.
5. What’s one word you would use to describe Kobe Bryant?
6. Finish this sentence: Baseball is ______.
a phenomenal sport to play, but a tough one to watch unless you love it.
7. What’s your favorite sports memory of all time?
Reggie Miller curling off of a double-screen with a busted ankle, shoving The Jordan up off of him, and hitting a turn-around fading three-pointer with three seconds remaining in Game 4 of the 1998 Eastern Conference Finals. As a pimply-faced 14-year old boy, I lost my freaking mind...
...until I realized that the Bulls had 0.8 seconds remaining. The Jordan got the ball from 35 feet and shot an in-form jumper that hit the backboard, front rim, backboard, and side rim. He missed. Barely. Jubilation in the lil' ETSF household.
8. If you could play a sport professionally, what would it be?
I'd be a professional baseball player, preferably a first baseman. If I'm good enough, I could probably play a solid 15 years and when my defense declines I can still get a job in the American League as a DH. Much less physical punishment than football or hockey, and I don't have to worry about my wife being in a reality television show like in basketball.
9. Will you miss the NBA this season (should there be a non-NBA)?
Yes. There's nothing else that needs to be said.
10. You line up to run the 40-yard dash. What’s your time?
I can run a 4.4 in the 30-yard dash. I have no idea what I'd run in the 40.
11. What is one sports venue you want to visit before you die?
Emirates Stadium in North London to see my Arsenal Gunners do work.
12. Who will win the 2011 World Series?
As much as I hate them, the Philadelphia Phillies are ridiculously good. They will win.
13. What’s the one food that MUST be at a football tailgate?
Food? Man, pass me a cold beer.
14. How many titles will LeBron James win before he retires?
He'll go down as the Wilt Chamberlain of our generation, so I'll give him as many as Wilt won. Two.
15. What one player’s jersey is hanging in your closet right now?
This one, always was a fan of Mr. Big Shot.
16. Watch a big game at home or at a sports bar?
At the house, by myself. With tweetdeck open and a cold beer by my side.
17. Will Pacquiao and Mayweather ever fight?
Yes. When? I have no idea.
18. If Peyton Manning’s career is done, does he rank top five or top 10 at quarterback?
Top 10. His career is barely better than Steve Young's at this point. He's not the best quarterback of his generation, that'd be Tom Brady.
Montana. Brady. Elway. Unitas. Marino. Favre. Then Manning....yep.
19. You get 10 shots from the NBA three-point line. How many do you make?
Without a warm-up? 5. If I can get a few shots up...7. You'll have as big of a chance to winning big money doubling-down on two face cards at the casino online as you would betting on me to hit seven threes. Bet on it.
20. You get a free trip to any sports Hall Of Fame, which do you choose?
Canton. I've got to go see the busts myself.
21. Duke basketball or UNC basketball?
UNC. I've always hated Duke, but with Roy Williams coaching UNC my dislike for both has increased. Will always lean toward UNC because one of my favorite players of all-time is Sam Perkins. My high school coach gave me the nickname "Big Smoove" because my game reminded me of his.
A slow-footed big man who could shoot threes and foul people really hard. Yep, that's me.